Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Basics...

"Some call this tool a chopper but you would never use it for chopping.  See?  It's too dull.  It's best used for this - as a scraper."  
The thought of someone actually using this block edged tool for chopping is fairly amusing.  I picture a tomato being squished to hell in one fatal blow.  Seeds and juice abound the stumped victim who stares at the box wondering why it would be labeled as a chopper if it's not intended to be used this way.

I start this blog out of encouragement from dear friends (L, A, & M) and as an outlet and description as I make my way into the world of food - particularly, cooking outside of my own kitchen.  I have a deep felt infatuation with all things edible - yes, even my run in with you, Mr. Sea Cucumber.  After years of recipe mining, trance-like observation of handfuls of favorite tv chefs, and self-taught adventures in my various homes, I've decided to step out into the world of hands-on training and face-to-face education from classically trained chefs all around the city.  

My first class is a series--basics.  We review aspects of a meal at each class. This week, we started off with salads.  

I surprisingly realized I am in the high range of skill level for my class.  Most are hopeful cooks wishing to make something their partners will eat.  Half haven't cooked much past a microwave or a bowl of cereal.  I kept my intro short stating that I was here to increase my skills and knowledge as I love to cook.  What I really wanted to say was "I'm a pretty darn good cook looking to make myself even better since my competitive nature will not allow me to do anything less."  

Our chef instructor is poised, slightly abrasive, and extremely experienced in the world of cooking, but also teaching about cooking.  And then there are the teaching methods.  Asking a question could be rebutted with "I already discussed that so will not repeat myself."  Silence.  "I have teaching methods - the first being that I will not review what has already been discussed.  If you missed something because you weren't listening or your mind was elsewhere then hopefully one of your classmates can tell you the answer."  I suddenly felt like I had time warped back to elementary school and was waiting for someone to get their knuckles slapped by a ruler - which in this case, might have been a knife (yowsa!).  From that point on, most of us screened questions to those around us.  Secondly, asking inconvenient questions will only land you to be interupted and talked over.

The odd part is that asking questions was encouraged...so...umm, yeah...

Despite this stylistic hurdle, we chopped, took notes, mixed, and tossed.  3 hours later, we had made 3 delicious and different salads.  We also learned about oils, vinegars, greens, proper washing and storing, and accompaniments to add variety based on personal preference.  Who knew I'd ever feel inspired to buy an at-home salad bar display?  

In reviewing class one, I made a delicious basic salad dressing last night to go along with my completely homemade roman style pizza - cooked on a pizza stone of course and yes, handmade dough.  What is she doing in a basics class if she can make homemade pizza?  Well, first off, you never know everything and secondly, affirmation that I'm pretty good at this gives me hope.  I'm pre-signed up for some pretty intense stuff over the next month so stay tuned guys and gals...the fun has just begun.

TIP: Un-refrigerated oil is only good for 3 months once opened - this includes vegetable (canola) and olive oils.  They get rancid after that so be wary...and buy small bottles of oil.  (Sorry Mr. garbage/recycle man, my trash is going to be insanely packed this next week.)

 

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I would love a recipe for pizza dough (wheat preferred). I got Michael a stone for Christmas, but all we've been making on it are Bobolis. ;)

    Love the new blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola from Mexico Chris! I am SO proud of you for taking the leap! See you soon...so much love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to join the blogging world! Now I can stalk you at work, on Facebook and on blogspot! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade pizza is so fun to make! You should post pictures of your culinary creations so we can all drool over the yumminess :) I'm glad you started the blog- such a fun way to see what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! and can't wait to read more...as you said the adventure has just begun! Yay for good food!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should post the recipies you use! Ooh ooh, and use your webcam to record videos of you cooking. It could be like a Rachel Ray blog. Or maybe an Iron Chef blog.

    ReplyDelete