Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back to the roots...


Man I LOVE the smell of garlic, ginger, and soy...and almonds.  I am head-to-toe perfumed with the scents of tonight's class, Chinese 2 - delicate flavors.

This was a heavy hands-on experience where we discussed and had 15 minutes of lecture and technique (over a delicious bowl of egg drop soup with tomatoes) followed by rolling up the sleeves and cooking away.  Then, we all sat down and enjoyed our creations together.  Tonight, we made some simple and delicious Chinese dishes including steamed fish - my dad's favorite.


Our chef instructor was very open, excited, and taught asian cuisine in the best style - through family stories.  The group was small - and even included a sweet asian grandmother very reminiscent of my own.  Oh how I miss you grandma...grandma used to tell me, "Eat! Eat! Don't wait for hungry!"  She would be so proud that I allow myself endless amounts of food...but then again, I'm slightly hypoglycemic.  NOTE: I found out later that this was a little bit due to her PTSD from living through WWII in the Philippines - so much makes sense now that I'm "an adult".  

The most exciting part of class was cooking in the actual kitchen of a popular asian grocery store/eatery - there was a whole set-up that I shall call the range of woks.  4 commercial sized woks fueled by gas...each with a faucet above for quick and easy cleaning between dishes and a convenient trough behind the woks to dump the water.  Stainless steel tables and tools everywhere - I was psyched out of my mind.  Chef was very hands-on and encouraging of our thoughts on taste and seasoning.  It was really empowering to have a knife in hand - a side note and pat on my back: I was told I was a great mince-r.  

Nothing too out of the ordinary happened.  It was a great class with great food and great people.  Although, I'm also suffering from Crisco overload - oh, the almond cookies...I think I ate 4 or was it 5?  


TIP: Hot and Sour soup rarely precede a full Chinese meal as they are heavy and more like a snack...lighter soups like egg drop are more typical (and in my opinion more delicious).

Tomorrow is basics 2...I have no idea what the topic is but we'll both find out soon enough.  Ta ta...

1 comment:

  1. Yummm! Asian food is the one area that Michael doesn't really care to cook, so I'm trying to learn. I love it, and love that it's healthy, so I look forward to hearing more about your classes!

    ReplyDelete